Every day while traveling to my workplace I see people riding motorcycles without wearing a helmet. And every day I wonder what makes them skip the one essential safety element that can save their head from breaking in case of an accident.
So, one day, I sat and thought deep about it. I also asked a few friends what they think. Friends who wear, even have an extra for the pillion rider, do not wear, and do not even own one. And this is what I found.
17 Reasons Why People Don’t Wear Helmets
- It screws up their hairstyle
- It’s uncomfortable and borderline suffocates them
- “The stock unit that I got with my Honda Unicorn would anyway not save my head so why should I bother”
- It’s an unneeded expense and petrol prices are only rising
- “I don’t like to hold it in my hand when I am not riding”
- “I couldn’t find a large one”
- Good quality helmets are expensive
- “I know how to talk to the traffic police”
- “I only ride short distances”
- “I would pay the 500-rupee fine once than buy a helmet worth 5ooo rupees”
- “My helmet was stolen twice”
- “I ride safely and am confident that I will not meet with an accident”
- It’s heavy
- It stinks
- “I started losing hair because of it”
- “I have never been stopped by the traffic police”
- They don’t like to follow rules
There are even dumber reasons that people give when asked about their habit of not wearing a helmet. It just baffles me that people are ready to put their lives in danger because a helmet will distort their hairstyle (#1 reason) and they always want to look presentable.
I have tried describing to them the problems associated with helmet-less riding, and so far, I have changed the mind of not a single person. Which is why people don’t come to me when they want to convince someone.
One day I will write about why people don’t wear seat belts but for now read what I have observed in today’s taxi-cabs.
What are your thoughts on helmet-less riding or unsafe riding/driving in general? What dumb/weird reasons have you come across? Let me know in the comments below. Check the conversation at Reddit. TN.
4 responses to “List: Why People Don’t Wear Helmets”
[…] – I recently also created two similar lists here (about seat belts) and here (about helmets). Thank […]
[…] just lightly like a feather touches the ground – touched the back of a pink Scooty Pep. The helmetless rider, along with his kid, got out and started splashing expletives in […]